Sunday, April 11, 2010

Visitors from CT

First, I must apologize that I'm not really thinking clearly or going to make any attempt at being witty or funny tonight. I'm just too tired. I'm only blogging tonight because I want to keep my New Year's resolution to keep my blog updated, so here it is. Keep your expectations low.

We have the luck to be living in a place where Matt, Joe's brother, had a medical conference at the end of March. It's great to live in a place where lots of people travel. I feel like we just had a fun vacation and I didn't even have to go anywhere! Which is good, because I feel too large and uncomfortable at this point to drive for hours in a car. Not to mention the pit stops that would have to be made. This baby is just hopping around in there!


Anyway, Joe started off by pitching to the kids. He's looking a bit fearsome here -like he's going to put some heat on it! Watch out Abel!

(Something really weird is going on with my formatting on this post, but it's too late at night for me to fix it. I've got to just post something or it'll never get done! So bear with me.)

Gabriel was giddy to be in the center of so much action with baseballs and soccer balls. He really seemed to be in his element.


Look at that cutie go!



I had a hard time keeping Maggie and Daniel from dashing off to the playground every time I turned around. Not that the playground was bad, it just necessitated me getting my lazy butt up.

Dan wanted to hide in the "tube" so that the bees wouldn't get him. I'll have to tell about this latest phobia later.












Soccer was next on the agenda. There was quite a bit of kicking and sweating going on. With 6 boys and 2 men getting into the scramble, it's amazing there weren't any real injuries.
Here's where the heat really turns up and the shirts come off! Thankfully the (hairy) dads kept their shirts on.
Maggie is not one to be left out of the fun. She freaked out until I agreed to take off her shirt and let her run free with the boys. She won't be able to get away with that for too many years, so I might as well let her enjoy it now! Joshie was being such a sweet big brother. It was a bit dangerous hugging on the ground in the middle of the playing field, but sweet nonetheless.
They finally broke out the scooters and zipped around the field and up and down the sidewalks. They look like a pretty tough scooter gang, don't they?
What you don't see pictured here is our outing to a local D.C. park where you can watch planes take off from Reagan International. We were there with about 1,000 of our closest friends and a lot of overflowing and stinky port-a-johns. Thankfully the kids were more focused on the planes flying so low overhead that they didn't notice the stench as much as my preggo nose did. We chowed on burritos and brownies and enjoyed a lovely spring day.
We also went to a lovely little park called Great Falls National Park. Clairon's sister, Dorian, met us there and we all hiked around the trails and enjoyed a beautiful day.
Jesse, Daniel, Joshua, Aaron, Gabriel and Abel posing in front of the rapids. Maggie and Laz are hanging out in strollers and backpacks.
The rapids were really crashing with the rainfall and snowmelt we've had recently.
On our last day together we decided to go to the Air and Space Museum in D.C. It was, of course, a rainy day with a few parking issues, but we finally made it into the museum. We saw a number of planes and rockets, and then we found this little room. They were showing old WWII airplane movies - not the real footage, mind you, but Hollywood stuff that was all romanticized and cheesy. But the kids ate it up and wouldn't let us leave! I think they really just wanted to sit down and eat the Reece's Pieces that Aunt Clairon brought along!
We really had a great time with Matt and Clairon and family and are so glad that we live close enough to get some visits from them. We're looking forward to Sam and Vanessa coming out our way too. It'll be their turn to be schlepped all over town in bad traffic and crowds next!

No comments: