It's really nice to have Maggie be such a good talker. I remember that Joshua was such a late talker and it caused much misunderstanding and frustrations for both of us. So I've gotten used to being able to communicate with Maggie about almost everything. She speaks very clearly, in full sentences, and even though I can't always reason with her, at least I understand what she wants. Then our family got into the car one day and Maggie yelled: "I WANT KILL YOU MAMA!" Wow. I was wondering what had ticked her off! Joe started laughing. Nothing like reinforcement for bad behavior from Dad. Then she said it again, only this time it was in a much angrier voice. I started in lecturing her on how that was not a nice thing to say, and how we should never say we want to kill someone, etc. Well, she just kept saying it. And then it clicked. She wanted the song "Q U" by They Might Be Giants. We listen to their "ABC" CD all the time. So, what she had really said was "I want Q U Mama!" Wow - what a relief! I thought we'd have to start therapy early for that one.
Here's a very rare moment of Maggie and Daniel sharing Maggie's little pink chair. They really have a hard time sharing anything lately. In fact, I don't think I've ever had any of my other kids argue and fight so much. Is it the age difference (2 1/2 years)? Is it a girl/boy thing? Personality issues? I'm hoping it's just a phase, since Maggie is in the full prime of her terrible two's and Daniel doesn't understand that she can't be reasoned with.
Here's an example of one of their really enjoyable exchanges:
Daniel: Blue is my favorite color.
Maggie: No, I like blue.
Dan: NO, I like blue.
Maggie: (speaking loudly) NO, I LIKE BLUE!
Dan: (even louder) NO, I LIKE BLUE!
Maggie: (shouting) NO, I LIKE BLUE!
Dan: (screaming) NO, I LIKE BLUE!!!!
This goes on until someone intervenes. It's very restful and calming on the nerves. Especially since you know that it can go on in the same form, but with different subjects, all through the day. You name it, they can argue about it. No mundane subject is left alone. I especially like it when they bait each other with random phrases like: "This is MY sock." Then they look at the other one and wait for them to kick in with the required come-back - No, it's MY sock. Then around and around we go again.
Lately I've been praying for full-day kindergarten to be re-instated for this fall. The fewer hours Dan and Maggie are together, the less they can fight, right? I'll have to update this in the fall to see if my plea for sanity has been granted or not. Until then, you can reach me in the loony bin.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh. Hahah! What a relief! I know... Leah is not even two yet and I have had several, "hmm... does she have anger issues? is she going to try to kill me in my sleep when she's a teenager?" moments. But this one is too cute.
Well, at least you can be grateful she wasn't, in fact, saying she wanted to kill you. I have a friend here whose little boy regularly tells me, " I'm going to kill your baby" and that he hates his mom and all that fun stuff. It's super heart-warming.... and terrifying.
By the way, we are hoping to make it to Baltimore a few days before Sam has to start working and you know what will be #1 on our list of things to do? A little snuggle time with H & J! Yes!!
Post a Comment