You'd think that after my last weigh-in at the doctor's office I would have sworn off all food, save lettuce greens and carrots. It was that bad. Let me just say, I didn't know a person could gain that much in one month. And no, there's no underlying medical condition for the weight gain, other than a normal pregnancy. And NO, I'm not saying how much. Geesh. Do you think I want you all lecturing me to lay off the Cadbury Easter Eggs? They're not around for long, you know, so I've got to take advantage of their availability right now.
So, instead of wallowing in my sorrow, I thought I'd share some of my recent recipe discoveries. There are plenty of recipes I've tried lately that were fine, but nothing to write home about, so I'm not sharing those. Here are two entrees that I think are super - and so does my family. Of course, you need to like things a little spicy in order to fully appreciate the yumminess of them.
Joe really loves this dish and so do I. We actually discovered it before I got morning sick, but I think I'm feeling well enough to make it again. I know Joe will take that as a sign that all is well and he'll start chowing down on garlic croutons and breathing tuna breath in my direction. Oh goody. You should really try it - it's worth the effort and purchase of a spice you might not have. I've found myself buying bottles of garam masala when they go on sale, because I know I'll definitely use them.

Here's one of my more recent discoveries - Cajun Chicken Pasta. And guess what? It's from the same website! The Pioneer Woman isn't known for her lowfat dishes, but you really can make these dishes lighter by using less cream or maybe even fat-free half and half. This recipe can be found at
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/02/cajun-chicken-pasta/ I use canned, chopped tomatoes and cut the broth to 1 C. when I make it, but I think those are my only changes. Wait! I don't add the white wine either! I'm glad I glanced at the ingredients as I was writing this, or you might all think I was naughty!

Oh yes, if you don't have any Cajun spice, here's a little recipe for one that I use:
Franks Famous Creole Seasoning
This type of seasoning base is used in many New Orleans restaurants, from Emeril’s to Commander’s Palace to K-Paul’s. This is particularly good on grilled chicken or duck.
Ingredients:
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1½ teaspoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon white pepper
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon granulated onion
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
• 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil leaves
• ½ teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves
• ½ teaspoon crushed dried thyme leaves
• ½ teaspoon crushed dried parsley leaves
Note: This version of Creole seasoning contains salt — If you like to control salt content separately, omit the salt from the blend.
Well, I don't have a "recipe" for this little cutie, but she's quite a dish, isn't she? Look at those big brown eyes! I'm sure you'd like a big kiss from her right now! What her lips are glued to is some "Seven Minute Frosting". It's a fluffy, marshmallow-like frosting and it's very sticky, as we can all testify after Maggie stuck her fingers and lips all over everything. She's quick!

We put the frosting on this:
It was a bit of work, but worth it. The frosting was actually easier than any other 7 minute frosting I've made before.
A friend of mine just made a chocolate cake that was so, can I say it again?...YUMMY! It was called "Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake" and can be found at the Cook's Illustrated website. I tried hooking up the URL, but it wouldn't let me and the recipe was a little too lengthy to post. So if you want it, just email me. The frosting was so, so chocolatey and "billowy", and the cake was so moist.
Okay, now I can rest. I feel like I've done my duty. I've shared, with the two people who check on my blog occasionally, some great recipes. I always feel like it's a bit of a crime not to share when I've found something truly delicious. So, enjoy!
Now that food has taken over most of my post, I guess I should relate a couple of things that have to do with PEOPLE. Here's a pic of Joe, his brother, Jesse, Joshua and Aaron.

Jesse had just returned from Afghanistan and had a stopover in D.C., so he came to share his stories of his time there. It didn't really make me look forward to when Joe goes there next year. And I'm sure he wasn't even telling us the real nitty-gritty stuff that goes on. But, it was fun to see Jesse and we're so glad he's safe and back in the U.S.

I thought I should throw in a picture of our ward Pinewood Derby Activity. This is not to be confused with the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, which was held about a month before. And, as luck would have it and since he loves this sort of thing so much, Joe was in charge of putting together the track for both events. In fact, he even got to emcee at the Cub Scout Derby - lucky boy. The track is some sort of high-tech, computer operated thing that someone, who loves the Pinewood Derby but is no longer in charge of it, ordered one year. So, Joe had to get off work hours early (3:30!) to put it together before both races. I need to come up with some good reasons to get Joe home early. So far "Honey, I'm barfing and the kids are driving me insane" hasn't worked. In fact, I think it made him stay later!
Here Dan is showing his love for his sister a little too publicly.

1 comment:
I'm STOKED about that chicken tikka masala recipe. It's my very very favorite indian dish and so far Sam and I have had no luck finding a good indian place here in chicago. I'm such a lazy cook, it never even occurred to me to try to make it myself, but I'm happy to try your recommendation!
Also--good work on that beautiful cake! Really, I have so much to learn from you!
I'm digging Jesse's Afgani local/don juan dimarco look! Good grief!
And your munchkins are, well, MUNCHABLE! As always!
Post a Comment